An easy and tasty coffee cake. Adapted from Taste of Home’s original recipe, found here.
One medium mixing bowl
One large mixing bowl
One paring knife (for chopping the apples)
One 8×8 in baking dish
A large spoon or spatula
1.5 cups whole-wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 med/large tart apples, chopped
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (can substitute milk)
Oil or grease, for greasing baking dish
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Mix ingredients from flour to salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar.
4. Mix in egg, vanilla, and applesauce (or milk) into creamed butter.
5. Slowly mix in flour mixture until well combined.
6. Fold in chopped apples and walnuts.
7. Grease the baking dish. Transfer to baking dish and cook in oven for 35-40 min, or until done (when a toothpick inserted to the middle comes out clean).